Saturday, August 1, 2020

Joker meets Mr Pants

So, repeat this really loud for those in the back: When done properly, training a horse is a long, slow process full of small accomplishments that eventually add up to a confident, well trained animal. It's boring to watch. Contrary to what you see in movies, there shouldn't be a rodeo every time you work a horse. Think about it - are you getting anything done or learning when you are stressed and feeling defensive? Why would an animal be different? And why do I want to risk the fireworks and end up getting hurt? If I'm hurt, I'm not going to be working horses. I want to work horses.

And so the goal is small bits of progress on a daily basis. And it also means the mistakes are smaller and easier to fix as you go. The horse gets confident in himself and in his handler. He decides hey, maybe this 2 legged beast makes good decisions and won't let me get hurt.  

And so it goes with Joker. Small goals. Marathon, not a sprint.

Of course, we also like to have fun while working - if it's not fun, why do it?

So we've been working on this riding thing, and I am feeling Joker is ready.  However, I want to be positive that he's totally prepared for what's ahead, because getting bucked off isn't the goal here.

Enter Mr Pants.


Mr Pants was recommended to me by a friend who has started some of her own young horses.   He's not terribly tall, but he's stuffed with sand and pine straw, and a willing stunt man.   He weighs about 35 pounds.  Not much compared to a human, but hey, Mr Pants needs a leg up from me every ride, and I don't want to lift something heavy that high.  He has shoes on - not the greatest shoes to wear around horses, but that's his decision.  

We weren't sure if Mr Pants was insured, so hubby said I needed to make sure Pants saw the liability signs.

Joker got a good grooming, and I put a saddle pad and surcingle on him so Mr Pants would have somewhere to sit and hold on.   I don't have a saddle that fits Joker yet.  Joker brought his usual enthusiasm to the table.  

Hubby joined us at the arena, to take photos and video, and also because he was curious - he doesn't watch Joker's sessions very often, and he didn't quite seem convinced when I said I felt Joker was ready to start carrying a rider.  Plus Mr Pants had been hanging around the barn for a few days and we all had a bunch of laughs with him.  Time to see him in action.

I put Mr Pants on Joker's back, and...nothing.  Pulled him back off.  Back on.  Joker yawned.  Literally.   Then I took Joker and Pants for a walk.   Joker wanted to know if he could chew on his rope.  Sometimes he'd turn around and nip at Mr Pants for fun.





Since this was apparently no big deal, it was time to ask Joker to work a little harder.  I tied Mr Pants to the surcingle, sent Joker out on a short lunge line.  Anything happens, I want to get control as fast as I can.  Joker moseyed.  I asked him to trot, and he gave me a nice little jog.   Totally relaxed.   Change directions.  Trot again.   Mr Pant's legs and feet were bouncing on Joker's sides, like a rider with really bad lower legs, and Joker just said "ok".   



And so we stopped.   He met my goal.  We'll do this 2 more times, and if he's still totally chill about it, then I know a Mr Scarecrow who will make a nice torso...    When this is all over, Joker will know what it's like to carry a rider, see something above and behind him, and the day someone sits on him for real, he should yawn and move off just as quietly as he did today.   Confident, relaxed, happy in his job.


Training is serious.  It can be dangerous.  But boy I have fun with this horse!


Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment