Sunday, September 24, 2017

Welcome!


The boys

Welcome to Two Paths Farm!


We bought this farm in October, 2013.  I was tired of boarding my horse.  And I wanted another one.  Hubby said well, it's probably cheaper and less headache to just get our own place and you can manage your own horses, get another, etc.

It has not been cheaper or less headache.   But the expenses are for our own stuff, and now we get to problem solve together.

It has been an adventure.  The farm is 57 acres, half cleared, half in woods.  The older barn is at the bottom of the hill, far from the house, and it flooded all the time.   Only 3 acres of the wettest, swampiest land was fenced.  The rest was open and being mowed.  So fences went up, water lines went in, we built a new barn at the top of the hill by the house.  The arena got a much needed facelift.   Trails were cleared in the woods.   Sickly trees came down.  The house has had a ton of work on it.

Did I mention I only wanted 10-15 acres?

We are nowhere near done, but this is the fun of it, right?

So I decided to start a blog about living here, the animals that we've accumulated, the ones that stay for an extended visit, and the amusing (and sometimes frustrating) things that happen.   I'll have posts written by the other residents here so you can have their point of view.  Some of you might already know a lot of the background, some of it might be new to you.

So I'll start off with answering "Why 'Two Paths Farm'?"  Well, the name came from one of my favorite (and commonly misunderstood) poems "The Road Not Taken".  Every path has its good and bad stuff, right?  That was our new life - the good and bad that we'd look back on someday.

And of course, the "two" was also for my horse, Deuce - the only horse I owned when we bought the place, and the reason we decided on buying a farm to begin with.

The day we met.  Deuce already knew he had hit the jackpot.
So stop back often.  I'll try to keep things updated, and I'm sure the rest of the family will be chiming in now and then to tell their side (and protest their innocence, I'm sure).

Happy trails!

J.


1 comment: